Falkland Farms is a 7673 acre contiguous tract of land located on the eastern edge of Halifax County, Virginia. Bordering Kerr Reservoir, the farm is located on a peninsula of land formed by the rivers of the Dan, Banister, and Staunton. Five streams give the area the nickname of the "Falks" and the namesake of the farm.Falkland Farms encompasses twelve square miles of land with gently rolling to moderate topography.
Falkland Farms was first acquired in the early 1900's by Col. Ira Vaughan. He purchased over 40 individual farms to create the largest single tract of privately held land in Virginia to be used as his private hunting preserve. In 1922, the centrally located farmhouse known as the Sydnor House was modified and enlarged to serve as a hunting lodge. The Lodge became a seven bedroom facility for fortnight visits from Col. Vaughan and his friends and business acquaintances from Philadelphia.
Today the farm remains privately owned by Col. Vaughan's descendants. It is still maintained as an exclusive hunting plantation now open to the public. In the early 1990's, Falkland Farms once again became an active plantation. A beef cattle operation and a hunting operation were started. The excellent response to the hunting prompted the complete renovation of the Sydnor House Lodge. The Lodge accommodates hunting guests while they visit the plantation. It is also used year round for a Bed & Breakfast, weddings, receptions, and corporate meetings. Visitors enjoy the comfort of the lodge with its modern conveniences mixed with the antiques and pictures of the past. The staff prepares and serves all of your meals in true Southern fashion and flair.